26. August 2011
SCADA software (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) and HMI software (Human Machine Interface) are considered much the same as there have been innumerable developments in automation products. At first, the difference was very evident. HMI software were created as dedicated electronics that had the ability of communication with other dedicated electronics while SCADA software were computer-based applications that were able to create a link between windows-based applications in the share of data with control systems.
However, this system was improved with time and it was quite clear how HMI also gives somewhat the same functionality as SCADA software i.e. at a fraction of cost and based on Windows system.
What makes a good SCADA or HMI? There are factors that make SCADA and HMI more effective and usable. When creating any operator interface, the end user should always be considered with any good system.
• Simplify your design – don’t use spinning graphics and animations as they detract from the basic information.
• Color association is important – use one simple color for complete navigation throughout the project but avoid red and green amber as they should be used for status indications only.
• SCADA software does not only belong to engineers. The operator functions should always take president.
• Use common face plates for devices and extended information – this can provide a lot of useful information but always apply the above design philosophies when creating them.
• Stick to one language, probably English. Always create messages in full length.